Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sally's Scarf


Just in time for warm weather -- Sally's Noro striped scarf is done!


pattern: by Jared Flood of brooklyntweed fame, here
yarn: Noro Silk Garden. silk, mohair, wool
colors: 224, 251 (two skeins each)
amount: used the entire 4 skeins, minus a few yards that I cut because the colors were muddy
finished measurements: about 6" by 60"
needles: US 5 (3.75 mm)*





The pattern is simple: a 1x1 rib, alternating two rows of each color, slip the first and last stitch of the second row of each stripe. I cast on 39 stitches (or any odd number giving the width you want) and used a tubular cast on and also bind off. I chose that because it promised to give a clean edge to the ribbing -- it looks like the ribbing just ends, instead of having a row of some kind of edging at each end. I'm not sure I did the tubular bind off correctly but it looks OK and I didn't want to research it further and have to try to undo the bind off I'd already done. I knit this one a bit tighter than my own striped scarf, and I think it was a good idea -- mine is a bit too loose and stretchy, although I'm sure this one will loosen up some with wear.





All in all, another fun knit, and my niece loves it!





This photo (above) shows the tubular cast on (lower edge) and bind off (upper edge) -- not a clear photo but it gives you an idea. The photo below shows the cast on. I'm not sure how often I'll use this technique but it seems like it would be good for the ribbed edging of a sweater cuff or bottom edge, for example -- anyway, I'll be looking at more instructions for the bind off so I can make sure I do it right.