Wednesday, August 8, 2007

qu'est-ce que c'est ? (what is this?)


I went to a barn sale recently and came away with, among other things, a handful of knitting needles and crochet hooks that were bundled in a bag -- all for $2.

Some of the needles are bent and probably not much use, and I don't think I'll ever use a crochet hook as small as some of the ones I brought home, but I figured if I got one good set of needles, I'd come out ahead. Well, I got several good needles and hooks, including some dpn's in small sizes, and, not pictured because they're already in use, a set of English knitting needles the exact size I've been looking for and an old set of Susan Bates knitting needles that are also a size I was looking for. I'm a happy camper over this purchase!

However, I have some questions...

1. What are the pokey things for? I can see them for sewing (turning corners of collars, for example) but couldn't figure out their use in knitting/crocheting.


2. Why do some of the crochet hooks have this clippy thing on the end? Was this a pre-nerd-pen-in-pocket-protector kind of thing? I'm thinking not but I can't figure out what else the clip would be for.


3. And, along the same lines, why do these pokey things have clippy things on the end?


4. Finally, what about the crochet hooks with the bend in the shaft? What is that for?


Oh -- if you know better names for any of these items than "pokey thing," etc., please feel free to educate me.

I did a couple of searches but wasn't getting anywhere... I'm hoping someone out there can help me. It's more out of curiosity than anything else... inquiring minds and all that.

Many thanks!

No comments: