Tuesday, August 14, 2007

socks. gulp.

Last spring I fell victim to sock mania. Not that I've ever knit any, but I saw cute ones all over the internet, and the great yarns in the shops, and before I knew it I was thinking, "Socks! my next project! and I'll learn new skills!" and with that justification, I started buying sock yarn.

So now I have all this sock yarn. The other day I was looking at it while searching for yarn for a WIP and suddenly realized I really wasn't all that interested in knitting socks. Those tiny needles, and so many at once, and oh, gosh, doing the heel and stuff... just sounded like something I didn't care about tackling. But I do have all this yarn so I left out one ball out and dutifully picked up needles to knit a swatch. If it turns out I really don't like doing socks, I can figure out some other use for my sock yarn.

So I swatched. And yes, the needles are tiny, and there are some new techniques staring me in the face -- but the yarn is so darned cute! and the stitches are so small! I think I'm hooked all over again. (Well, given that last night I was thinking of sock swatches and patterns as I fell asleep, I'd say I
am hooked all over again).

An aside: I love seeing close-up photos of my work because it helps me see where my knitting needs improvement, which is just about everywhere at this point, but the good news is that at least I'm better than I was even a few months ago.

So, as soon as I find a good, basic sock with short rows for the heels (I like short rows), I'll be off and running! Wish me luck...

No comments: