Sunday, June 7, 2009

Back in the Saddle

The knitting saddle, that is.

I've taken a huge block of time off knitting since late spring -- seems to hit every year about that time -- not that I lose interest in knitting, so much as there are other things pulling at me.

Now I'm back to knitting during those dusky quiet evening hours, listening to the birds, and enjoying the cool north breezes.

I have five projects that I've left hanging for several weeks. My first plan is to finish them up, one by one. I'm only allowing myself to start one new project until I get at least three done. For someone who has chronic startitis, that's a restriction!

That doesn't mean I can't dream of other projects, of course. I'm already thinking of holiday and other presents. Great fun, always, to dream and do a little creative thinking. I've also got my stash so highly organized it's scary (thanks, Ravelry! Love all the stash options you give us!) and am ready to do some stash busting once I get done with my current projects.

And I can also catch up on posting a few projects that have been completed.

Here's one of my favorites.


Textured Surino Shawl

pattern: Textured Shawl by Orlane
yarn: Plymouth Yarn Suri Merino
color: 402, gray
amount: 4 skeins, every inch
needles: US 9 (5.5 mm)
finished measurements: 28" from mid-neckline to tip;
62" along longest (neckline) side.




This is an easy, elegant shawl. I found it on Ravelry, and if you aren't a member you can't see the original and her directions, for which I apologize. But if you're not a member, please consider joining. It's free and incredible. You can read my past shameless plugging for Ravelry... can't help it, just love what they've done for needle crafters all over the world.

Orlane didn't have a pattern but did post the general directions for her shawl. It's basically three stitch patterns: stockinette, garter, and a textured stitch pattern. You repeat rows of each for however long looks good to you and for as long as you have yarn.

Please do look at Orlane's version if you have access to Ravelry. It's far more beautiful than mine, and so are many of the others done by Ravelry members.

My shawl is soft and warm and I'm really happy with the yarn. It blocked out well, doesn't seem to shed, and is very cozy.

Overall, I highly recommend this pattern. It was a fast and fun knit; there was absolutely nothing demanding about it, and it's a good first shawl if you haven't made one before. And the results are spectacular.

You can vary the yarn weight but will have to be better than I am about estimating the amount you'll need if you do so. I've seen in made in fingerling weight yarn and it's lovely. I personally would not recommend a variegated or other multi-colored yarn (heathered yarns being perhaps an exception) because the beauty and simple elegance of the various textures of the stitches get lost in multiple colors. And the simplicity and texture is a huge part of what makes this shawl so incredible.

I wish I had had more yarn but ran out before I could do as many garter stitch rows at the bottom as I would have liked. Next time (and there will be a next time; I loved this pattern and will make it again), I'll make sure I have more yarn, not only to make the last garter stitch block longer, but to make the shawl larger as well. I was stash-busting so I used what I had. I would have liked to have two more skeins for this shawl but it still turned out beautifully and I wear it a lot.

Here is the textured stitch pattern:
  • right side: slip one st as if to purl, K1, YO, pass slipped st over the knitted one and the YO. Repeat to the end
  • wrong side: purl.
The shawl itself is knit from the neckline to the bottom point, so you start with just a few stitches. I also added a two-stitch garter stitch edge to help keep it from rolling. I increased on all right side rows at each edge and on both sides of the center. There are numerous websites with basic instructions on how to do this if you haven't done it before, or contact me and I'll see if I can help. However, rest assured, if I can figure it out, so can you!

Happy knitting!

No comments: