Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mary Alice's Bainbridge Scarf and Mitts


Here are two more patterns from Ravelry. Ravelry is a great example of how a website can create community and promote sharing and learning. If you're a knitter or crocheter and aren't a member of Ravelry yet, I'd encourage you to join (it's free!), even if you never post much. The knowledge base there is incredible and the people -- moderators and members alike -- are quick to share. Lots of great information about patterns, yarns, techniques, etc., etc., etc!

OK, enough shameless plugging of one of my favorite websites, and on with the show.


Mary Alice's Bainbridge Scarf and Mitts

pattern: Bainbridge Scarf*
(see also the pdf from her blog) by MintyFresh*
and
Bainbridge Mitts*
(also available on her blog) by Amy Goodstine*
yarn: Berroco Jasper
colors: 3844, browns and blues, earth and sky
amount: 1 skein for mitts, I think 2 for the scarf...
needles: US 3 (3.25 mm)
finished measurements: mitts, size small,
just right for small-boned women's hands;
scarf, about 4" wide and I'm not sure how long around



I love these two patterns! I found the scarf first, and it whispered my friend's name, Mary Alice, to me over and over, as did the yarn... so I made it with her in mind. I originally cast on the recommended 156 stitches but found I was getting weird color pooling that I didn't like, so I frogged and cast on with 150 stitches. That worked better and the pattern shows off the yarn beautifully.


The only other modification I made was to follow flintknit's modifications* (also on her blog) for the fastener -- the original pattern uses ties but I liked flintknit's version better. I knit until the recommended 4" deep but wish I had made it another inch or so wider. Not sure I like the button that well but it was the best of what I could find.



Another Ravelry member created the pattern for the mitts. They're terrific! The pattern was pretty easy and it was fun to have mitts to make to go along with the scarf. My slight modifications: I used a 1x1 rib instead of the twisted rib (for no good reason), and I cast on 34 stitches instead of 36.


Love, love, love!


*If you don't have a Ravelry membership, you won't be able to access some of these links, and I apologive for that... but there's a little more motivation to join Ravelry!

No comments: